TO: Vermont Fire Chiefs and County Fire Service Organizations
FROM: Vermont Fire Academy
DATE: April 27, 2018
RE: Firefighter I, II and Firefighter I/II program requests - FY 2019
The Vermont Fire Academy is accepting requests for Firefighter I, Firefighter II, Firefighter I/II and other certification programs to be held in FY19.
If your fire department or county firefighter association would like to host a firefighter certification training program in the upcoming fiscal year, fill out a Request for Training Form and submit it to the Vermont Fire Academy by June 15, 2018 for consideration. Requests submitted after this date will not be accepted. Awarded programs require a minimum of 15 students pre-registered two weeks in advance of the program start date.
Selection Process for Program Awards:
The course locations are finalized by the Vermont Fire Academy Staff, with the concurrence of the Vermont Fire Service Training Council at the June Vermont Fire Service Training Council meeting. Award notifications are sent shortly after the June Vermont Fire Service Training Council meeting and typically no later than July 1st. The awarded programs typically start in late summer / early fall of that same year.
Items the Vermont Fire Academy considers when awarding requests:
- Adequate host facilities (classroom, area for practical skills, accommodations for building access).
- History of previous courses and programs hosted in the county.
- Parking for students, instructors, and Vermont Fire Academy equipment trailers - up to tractor trailer size.
- Site security, including snow removal in the winter.
- When receiving multiple requests for programs in a geographic area, priority may be given to those submitted by a county organization or multiple departments.
- Requests accompanied by a significant number of completed General Admission Applications from applicants for pre-registration will be a given higher priority.
If you have any questions or would like additional information, please call the Vermont Fire Academy at 800-615-3473.
Check out the VFA website for upcoming courses!