Promotion announced by Keene Fire Chief Mark Howard:
It is with great pleasure that I announce the promotion of Jarrod Houston to the position of Lieutenant Fire Operations effective March 1, 2015
Lieutenant Houston will be joining the supervisory team lead by Capt. Johnson on A-Shift to lead the assigned members.
Lieutenant Houston has served the City of Keene over the last 11 years. He joined the Keene Fire Department on February 16, 2004 as a firefighter/EMT assigned to C- Shift. Lieutenant Houston became a Nationally Registered Paramedic on May of 2009.
Before coming to Keene Lieutenant Houston worked for the Brattleboro Fire Department as a career firefighter from Sept. 5, 1995 till his departure to work at Keene Fire. He was also a volunteer member of the Hinsdale Fire Department from 1994 to 2004.
Over the last 21 years in the fire service he has become a NH Certified Level II Firefighter, Fire Instructor I, Paramedic and Hazardous Materials Technician. He has also attended other training programs covering services provided.
I wish Lieutenant Houston the best with his new responsibilities and his promotion.
The fire in Charlestown this afternoon on Old Acworth Stage Rd. Photos by Chief Tirrell, Fire Mutual Aid.
Fire Mutual Aid Chief’s Vehicle operating at the 2nd alarm fire at Stratton Base Lodge. This vehicle is deployed, when available at usually 2nd alarms and greater to coordinate communications between departments. It is equipped with many mobile radios with many different frequencies. This fire included the dispatching of departments on 2 different frequencies (KEF-980 and KCF-415) and 2 different fire ground frequencies were assigned for this fire. This vehicle helps to monitor all the frequencies involved in an incident. Photo of vehicle by Dale West. Photo of radio set up in back by Tom Redin.
12 years ago today on February 20, 2003 was the Station Night Club Fire in West Warwick Rhode Island.
The Station nightclub fire was the fourth-deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history, killing 100 people. The fire began at 11:07 PM EST, on Thursday, February 20, 2003, at The Station, a glam metal and rock and roll-themed nightclub located at 211 Cowesett Avenue in West Warwick, Rhode Island.
The fire was caused by pyrotechnics set off by the tour manager of the evening’s headlining band, Jack Russell’s Great White, which ignited flammable sound insulation foam in the walls and ceilings surrounding the stage. A fast-moving fire engulfed the club in 5Â½ minutes. In addition to the 100 fatalities, 230 people were injured and another 132 escaped uninjured. Video footage of the fire shows its ignition, rapid growth, the billowing smoke that quickly made escape impossible, and the exit blockage that further hindered evacuation.
It is that time of year again. To start thinking about yearly training for the upcoming fire season. John Dodge has pulled together some winter dates for the RT-130 and the S-110 Rookie classes. (YES there will be dates with the PACK TEST dates in the SPRING)
The Annual RT-130 refresher needs to be taken by all returning crew members.
If you took the rookie class last season you will not need to take that again this season you will need to take the RT-130. If you are new to the program and missed the S-110 last season than you will need to take the rookie class this season and the RT-130.
All classes will be at the Bear Brook Warehouse.
Saturday, March 7 â€“ RT-130 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Saturday, March 14 â€“ RT-130 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Saturday, March 21 â€“ S-110, 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. â€“ROOKIE CLASS
All classes limited to 24 personnel, first come/first serve by RSVP.
Students for RT-130 sessions should bring a lunch and IRPG.
New Email: Jennifer.Little@dred.nh.gov
Forests and Lands, Forest Protection
PO Box 1856, 172 Pembroke Rd
Concord NH 03302
In the last 24 hours, the dispatch center has dispatched fire departments to 5 carbon monoxide calls. Three of these calls resulted in high readings of carbon monoxide inside the buildings. One of these calls was the result of a vent clogged with snow for a water heater. We hate to sound like a broken record, but please check your vents and make sure they are clear of snow and ice. Carbon monoxide is odorless and in severe high readings it could kill you. We also urge everyone to have a carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home.