Archive for March, 2014

HARD TO PUT INTO WORDS

Friday, March 28th, 2014

ON BEHALF OF THE ENTIRE STAFF AT FIRE MUTUAL AID, AFTER YESTERDAY’S TRAGEDY WE WOULD LIKE TO SEND OUR CONDOLENCES TO THE BOSTON FIRE DEPARTMENT, BOSTON FIRE ALARM AND IAFF LOCAL 718.
The Firefighter’s Prayer
When I am called to duty, God, whenever flames may rage;
Give me strength to save some life, whatever be its age.
Help me embrace a little child before it is too late
Or save an older person from the horror of that fate.
Enable me to be alert and hear the weakest shout,
And quickly and efficiently to put the fire out.
I want to fill my calling and to give the best in me,
To guard my every neighbor and protect his property.
And if, according to my fate, I am to lose my life;
Please bless with your protecting hand
my children and my wife.
Author Unknown

ICS 300 CLASS IN CONCORD

Wednesday, March 12th, 2014

KEENE FIRE DEPARTMENT PROMOTIONAL CEREMONY

Tuesday, March 11th, 2014

All photos by Lt. Tom Redin, Fire Mutual Aid.

Chief Mark Howard sworn in as Chief as his 3 children look on.

Chief Howard pinned with his badge by his son Seamus.

Deputy Chief Ron Leslie being sworn in as his girlfriend and daughter look on.

Deputy Chief Ron Leslie being pinned with his badge by girlfriend Tracy.

Captain Jason Martin being sworn in as his daughter looks on.

Captain Jason Martin pinned with his badge by his daughter Avery.

Lieutenant Chris Staples being sworn in as his girlfriend and daughter look on.

Lieutenant Chris Staples being pinned with his badge by daughter Riley.

Lieutenant Dan Nowill being sworn in as his 2 sons look on.

Lieutenant Dan Nowill being pinned with his badge by son Robbie while son Tommy looks on.

KITCHEN RENOVATION AT HEADQUARTERS

Tuesday, March 11th, 2014

SWNHD Fire Mutual Aid is doing a renovation of their kitchen area and are looking for 6 feet of base cabinet and countertop and 8 ½ feet of upper cabinets. We are also be looking for a stainless steel 60 “ commercial range and hood.

Contact Chief Philip Tirrell at 603-352-1291 if you have items that you would be willing to donate or sell for a reasonable amount.

NH STATE HEALTH IMPROVEMENT PLAN

Monday, March 10th, 2014

ST. PATRICK’S DAY DINNER IN VERNON

Monday, March 10th, 2014

NEW LEMPSTER FIRE STATION

Sunday, March 9th, 2014

The new Lempster Fire Station. Photo by Chief Phil Tirrell, Fire Mutual Aid.

TRAINING OPPORTUNITY

Sunday, March 9th, 2014

Clandestine Labs Within Your Community hosted by Jaffrey Rindge Ambulance

Tuesday, March 4th, 2014

Click on the link to sign up for this free training:
CLICK HERE FOR THE LINK

PRESS RELEASE ON CLAREMONT FIRE

Monday, March 3rd, 2014

CLAREMONT, NH–On Sunday, March 2, the Claremont Fire Department was dispatched to 8 Cherry Hill Road for a report of a chicken coop fire with an exposure problem. The duty crew responded with an engine and a quint at 1806 hours and arrived on the scene at 1812 hours.
As he was approaching the scene, the duty officer called for a full first alarm assignment, as the heavily involved rear portions of the home was visible from some distance. Once on the scene, the engine crew deployed an attack line and advanced it through the garage, into a small entryway and was able to access the rear deck through a sliding glass door in the dining room. The exterior fire quickly communicated to all three levels of the structure through window openings and interior conditions deteriorated rapidly. Before the attack crew could react, fire from the basement level overtook the first floor and the lieutenant transmitted a “mayday” call over the air. The lieutenant and his firefighter were able to self rescue to the garage area where they were removed to the outdoors and treated by ambulance personnel.
The injured firefighters are identified as Lieutenant Andrew Stevens, a ten-year veteran of the department, and Firefighter Scott Kenniston, a six-year veteran. Both men suffered a variety of burn injuries and were transferred to burn centers. Lt. Stevens was med-flighted to Brigham and Women’s’ Hospital in Boston, while Fftr. Kenniston was transported to Fletcher Allen Hospital in Burlington, VT. Both firefighters were listed in good condition today at each medical facility. A third firefighter, Nick Koloski, sustained a wrist injury while assisting with efforts to remove the two more seriously injured firefighters. Fftr. Koloski was treated and released at Valley Regional Hospital on Sunday evening.
The fire is being investigated by representatives of the New Hampshire Fire Marshal’s Office and the Claremont Fire Department and the place of origin has, in fact, been isolated to a chicken coop that was located at the rear of the home. The ignition of the fire has been blamed on a heat lamp fixture that was being used inside the coop as a heat source. Since the coop was located in very close proximity to the building and was actually somewhat beneath a rear first floor deck, the fire communicated rapidly to both the deck and the rest of the home. Due to the slope of the property, the basement floor was at grade at the rear of the house, thus exposing three levels of the wood framed structure. The rear wall of the home provided a heavy fuel load and numerous openings that allowed for both severe fire conditions and an extremely rapid fire spread into the structure.
The home was owned by Mr. Farogh Wien and there were six members of the Wien family in the residence at the time of the fire. At this time the residence is considered a total loss.