CLAREMONT FIRE PARADE

The Claremont Firemen’s Parade will be held Friday, October 11th, at 6:30 p.m. The parade will begin at the Claremont Middle School, proceed down South Street to Pleasant Street and end at Broad Street Park.

THIS WEEK IS FIRE PREVENTION WEEK Fire Safety Checklist

Have you …

  1. Made sure your house or apartment number is readable from the street?
  2. Installed smoke detectors on each level of your home and in each bedroom?
  3. Tested each smoke detector in the past month?
  4. Installed fire extinguishers in the kitchen and garage?
  5. Identified two clear escape routes from each room in your home?
  6. Made sure every family member knows these escape routes?
  7. Purchased fire escape ladders for each bedroom?
  8. Taken care that candles are in sturdy holders and put out of reach of kids and pets?
  9. Made sure that electrical outlets have no more than one heat-producing appliance plugged into them?
  10. Stored matches out of the reach of children?
  11. Kept all flammable materials materials at least three feet away from heat sources?
  12. Made sure outdoor barbecue grills are kept away from your home, tree, shrubs and other combustibles?
  13. Stored flammable liquids in their original containers and away from heat, sparks or flames?
  14. Had boilers, furnaces and chimneys professionally inspected in the past year?

THIS WEEK IS FIRE PREVENTION WEEK Carbon Monoxide Detectors

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless gas. It is a common by-product of incomplete combustion, produced when fossil fuels (like oil, gas, or wood) burn. Because you can’t see, taste or smell it, carbon monoxide can KILL you before you know it’s there. Exposure to lower levels over time can make you sick.

Why is Carbon Monoxide dangerous?

Carbon monoxide robs you of what you need most – Oxygen, which is carried to your cells and tissue by the hemoglobin in your blood. If you inhale even small amounts of CO, it quickly bonds with hemoglobin and displaces oxygen. This produces a toxic compound in your blood called carboxyhemoglobin (COHb).

Carboxyhemoglobin produces flu-like symptoms, such as headaches, fatigue, dizzy spells, confusion, and irritability. Since symptoms are similar to the flu, carbon monoxide poisoning can be misdiagnosed. As levels of COHb rise, victims suffer vomiting, loss of consciousness, and eventually brain damage or death.

Where does Carbon Monoxide come from?

Gas or oil appliances like a furnace, clothes dryer, range, oven, water heater, wood burning stove or fueled space heaters can produce CO. When appliances malfunction, for example; a furnace heat exchanger can crack; vents can clog, kerosene heater is not properly vented or debris may block a chimney or flue causing the gas to seep into the home.

How can I protect against carbon monoxide poisoning?

The International Association of Fire Chiefs recommends UL listed CO alarms with an audible warning signal are installed on every level of the home and one, in or near each sleeping quarters.

Have your appliances, chimneys and flues inspected and cleaned by a qualified technician at least once a year or as recommended by the manufacturer.

Always ensure your home is properly ventilated. When exhaust fans run they lower the indoor air pressure. If the indoor air pressure is lower than the outdoor air pressure, the airflow in chimneys and vents can reverse, pulling exhaust-containing CO back into the home.

How does the Fire Department check for Carbon Monoxide?

The Fire Department has special detectors that monitor parts per million (PPM) of the atmosphere at any given location. These detectors can detect even small amounts of CO. If a problem is found, ventilation and mitigation of the hazard will be performed.

If you think you have a problem contact your fire department immediately.